Lawrence Investment Criteria
Rental Application Criteria (revised 1/12/18)
Every person who applies to live at a Lawrence Investment Co. LLC managed apartment complex is treated fairly and on an equal basis regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, handicap, familial status, marital status or source of income.
Every applicant over the age of eighteen (18) years of age must qualify individually. Screening fees are non-refundable. No co-signers will be accepted.
Maximum occupancy of no more than two (2) persons per bedroom.
CREDIT HISTORY AND PERSONAL INFORMATION
Upon receipt of a completed application and a non-refundable screening fee, Owner/Agent will conduct a search of public records to determine applicant's credit worthiness, prior rental history and personal references deemed necessary by Owner/Agent.
- You must present current government-issued photo identification.
- Gross verifiable legal monthly income should be equal to a minimum of two times stated rent. Income below two times the stated rent will result in denial.
- Currently employed applicants-must provide two (2) months most recent pay stubs or letter of employment.
- Social Security/Disability Income applicants-must provide verification of disability income, state income, savings,
or retirement income.
- Self-employed applicants-must provide proof of income through copies of the previous two years' tax returns.
- Full-Time Student applicants-must provide proof of current student status, financial aid letter and/or current bank
statements with balance of 5X the monthly rent.
- Unemployed applicants-must provide current bank statement with balance of 5X the monthly rent.
- Section 8 or Housing Assistance Program recipient applicants-must provide proof of voucher, estimated voucher
rent portion and must demonstrate income that is 2x their portion of the rent.
- You must have at least one year of verifiable rental history thru a landlord reference and or a mortgage history. Previous
Landlord comments can be considered against an applicant. Rental history reflecting past due and unpaid rent or damages
may result in the denial of the application.
- Bankruptcies, collections and judgments (not related to medical expenses) will be reviewed. Written proof of payment of
debts will be evaluated.
- Five years of eviction-free history is required. Eviction actions that were dismissed or resulted in a judgment for the
applicant will not be considered.
- Your behavior during the application process will be considered.
- Inaccurate, incomplete or falsified information will be grounds for denial.
- Any applicant currently using illegal drugs will be denied. If approved for tenancy and later illegal drug use is confirmed,
eviction shall result.
- Any individual whose tenancy may constitute a direct threat to the health and safety of any individual, the complex, or the
property of others will be denied tenancy.
Owner/Agent will conduct a search of public records to determine whether the applicant or any proposed resident or occupant has a "conviction" (which means charges pending as of the date of the application; a conviction; a guilty plea or no contest plea), for any: drug-related crime; person crime; sex offense; crime involving financial fraud, including identity theft and/or forgery: or any other crime if the conduct for which the applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of residents, the landlord and the landlord's agent. Owner/Agent will not consider a previous arrest that did not result in a conviction or expunged records.
If applicant, or any proposed occupant, has a conviction in their past which would disqualify them under these criminal conviction criteria, and desires to submit additional information to Owner/Agent along with the application so Owner/Agent can engage in an individualized assessment (described below) upon receipt of the results of the public records search and prior to a denial, applicant should do so. Otherwise, applicant may request the review process after denial as set forth below, however, see item (c) under "Criminal Conviction Review Process" below regarding holding the unit.
A single conviction, guilty plea or no contest plea or pending charge for any of the following, subject to the results of any review process, shall be grounds for denial.
- Felonies involving murder, manslaughter, arson, rape, kidnapping, child sex crimes, or manufacturing or distribution
of a controlled substance.
- Felonies not listed above involving: drug-related crime: person crime: sex offense; crime involving financial fraud,
including identity theft and forgery; or any other crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is
charged is of a nature that would adversely affect property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety or right of
peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord's agent, where the date of
disposition has occurred in the last 7 years.
- Misdemeanors involving: drug related crimes, person crimes, sex offenses, domestic violence, violation of a
restraining order, stalking, weapons, criminal impersonation, possession of burglary tools, financial fraud crimes,
where the date of disposition has occurred in the last 5 years.
- Misdemeanors not listed above involving: theft, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, property crimes or any other
crime if the conduct for which applicant was convicted or is charged is of a nature that would adversely affect
property of the landlord or a tenant or the health, safety, or right of peaceful enjoyment of the premises of the
premises of the residents, the landlord or the landlord's agent, where the date of disposition had occurred in then last
- Conviction of any crime that requires lifetime registration as a sex offender will result in denial.
Criminal Conviction Review Process
Owner/Agent will engage in an individualized assessment of the applicant's, or other purposed occupant's, convictions if applicant has satisfied all other criteria (the denial was based solely on one or more convictions) and:
- Applicant has submitted supporting documentation prior to the public records search: or
- Applicant is denied based on failure to satisfy these criminal criteria and has submitted a written request along with
supporting documentation. Supporting documentation may include:
- Letter from parole or probation office;
- Letter from caseworker, therapist, counselor, etc.;
- Certification of treatment/rehab programs;
- Letter from employer, teacher, etc.;
- Certification of trainings completed;
- Proof of employment: and
- Statement of the applicant.
- Consider relevant individualized evidence of mitigating factors, which may include: the facts or circumstances surrounding the criminal conduct; the age of the convicted person at the time of the conduct; time since the criminal conduct; time since release from incarceration or completion of parole: evidence that the individual has maintained a good tenant history before and/or after the conviction or conduct; and evidence of rehabilitation efforts. Owner/Agent may request additional information and may consider whether there have been multiple convictions as part of this process.
- Notify applicant of the results of Owner/Agent's review within a reasonable time after receipt of all required information.
- Hold the unit for which the application was received for a reasonable time under all the circumstances to complete the review unless prior to receipt of applicant's written request (if made after denial) the unit was committed to another applicant.
If there are multiple convictions, guilty pleas or no contest pleas on the applicant's record, Lawrence Investment Co.
LLC may increase the number of years by adding together the years in each applicable category.
All applications are screened through Pacific Screening. Their phone number is 503-297-1941.